I'm just delighted to introduce to one of my favorite everyday reads, Janssen of Everyday Reading! Janssen loves books, good food, and putting together lovely outfits (with lots of stripes!). Welcome Janssen!
How would you describe your personal style?
Young mom with a little flair. I stay at home with a toddler. The fanciest places I go all week is church and bookclub. You wouldn’t be wrong in guessing that jeans play a major part in my wardrobe. I like comfortable, fairly basic clothing, and I tend to branch out a bit more with shoes, jewelry and accessories to keep from looking like I got dressed in the dark.
What trend are you loving this season?
I just can’t get over colored pants. I’m currently pregnant so I have only a single maternity pair in red, but I’m hoping to get a couple more pairs of fun colors or prints as soon as I’m not pregnant anymore. And I’m slowly starting to get into hats. My toddler picked one up at the store and insisted I buy it and . . . she was right! I love it.
Where do you find your style inspiration?
I have several mega-stylish friends, not to mention two very well-dressed younger sisters. Also I like looking at outfits on Pinterest. I feel like I’m less inspired by specific outfits than by large collections of outfits that give me an overall sense of a style. And clothing catalogs. I have to force myself not to hoard them.
What beauty product do you always splurge on? What is your top drugstore beauty buy?
I have to admit that I have no beauty product splurges. I am just woefully cheap and I still feel young enough to not be searching for miracle products. I am pretty much grocery-store everything, from face wash to shampoo to mascara to nail polish.
I particularly love Wet n Wild nail polish because in Texas it’s sandal weather about 10 months of the year and I can buy a hundred colors without feeling guilty and they last forEVER without drying out. I have some that are six or seven years old and still going strong.
What five items should every woman have in her closet?
1. A good pair of jeans. I don’t buy expensive jeans, but I try really hard to get a pair that I find very flattering and that I can wear several times in a row without needing to wash them back into shape. I want ones that look as good with a t-shirt as they do with a nice top and some heels (for the approximately once a month I wear heels).
2. A black pencil skirt. I have two (one for regular life and one for pregnancy life) and I love them both. They can go dressy or casual, and they match with EVERYTHING.
3. Red shoes. I bought my first pair last fall and I have worn them almost non-stop. Mine are suede and just a shade darker than true red. I feel like they make any outfit feel a little more special.
4. A fun scarf. I gravitate strongly toward solids, so a scarf in a fun print can really help jazz up an outfit for me. Also, it’s an easy thing to throw on before going out that makes me look more put together without requiring me to change out of my day clothing.
5. A well-fitting black t-shirt. This sounds so ridiculous, but it seriously is my most important closet staple. I have about three currently that I love with different lengths of sleeves. I really feel like there is no color as flattering as black and a black t-shirt goes with everything - a skirt, pants of pretty much any color, with a scarf, a blazer, a vest, and almost any jewelry. Anytime I see a picture of myself in a black shirt, I feel happy with that picture. Isn’t that absurd?