My sister recently had a baby boy (HI LIAM! I LOVE YOOOUUU!) and I did not want to go to the hospital empty-handed. However, I knew she was overloaded with baby stuff after her generous friends had thrown her multiple showers. So, I decided to bring her a big bag full of stuff that I personally found helpful after my kids were born. These were designed to be pampering gifts for her, not so much stuff for the baby.
Here's what was in it:
- Nice water bottle for the crazy thirst brought on by marathon nursing sessions. I got this one in purple.
- Flip-flop slippers for hospital and home lounging.
- Soothies gel pads.
- An iTunes gift card, so she could stock up on new music to enjoy while spending so much time at home.
- Lip balm
- Hand cream for dry hands due to frequent washing
- Good-smelling baby wash. This was the exception to the "gifts for her, not the baby" rule, but I did it because making a baby even more sniffable than they already are is a worthy pursuit. Don't you think?
- Coffee (for obvious reasons)
- Bottle of wine (for obvious reasons)
- Chocolate (why yes, as a matter of fact, I DO believe in self-medicating.)
I loved doing this because it was fun to pick things out for her, and also because the baby gets so much attention it's nice to have a few little things that I knew she would appreciate.
What would YOU include as essentials for a new mom?