I like a sports game as much as the next girl. (Well, to be fair, I like a sports game with easy access to nachos and a cold beer as much as the next girl.) But, one thing I actually take a wee bit for granted about my area is just how many sports teams we have here.
A quick run-down:
1. Dallas Cowboys. They play in Arlington, a city between Dallas and Fort Worth, in a big, shiny new stadium with a jumbotron redefining jumbo.
(Photo of the 2011 Cottonbowl -- that's the reason for the Texas A&M band on the field -- courtesy of me.)
Tickets and parking and food at the stadium are all really pricey but you can take a stadium tour for $27.50 (+ taxes) if sports aren't your thing but fancy sports stadiums are.
2. Texas Rangers. Also in Arlington, the Rangers are a much better deal but you have to sit outside to watch a game, so you'll 1) need to go to a game in late March/April or ... huh, there's just that one thing.
3. Dallas Stars. Easily, my favorite sports venue/team to watch in the area. Hockey is just fun, and the Stars have great fans. You also get to sit inside the (chilly!) stadium, so go to a game any time of year in Texas and enjoy. The stadium is also near downtown Dallas, so you're surrounded by incredible restaurants, fun bars, and posh hotels.
(Photo of New Years Eve 2011 game courtesy of me)
4. Dallas Mavericks. I don't like basketball but I'm sure these are fun games. (I think we just won the championship last year? The year before?) They play in the same arena as the Stars, so you're in the same fun area.
5. Nascar/Other Car-Type Races. Texas Motor Speedway is a stone's throw from my house (okay, so like a half mile) in North Fort Worth and my husband said I should definitely include it as a sports perk on the list.